The Skinny: Animal is the place to go if you want hearty, heavy, deliciously tasting comfort food that doesn’t hold back on flavor. The owners are two dudes who are rumored to be stoners which explains it all. You’ll leave feeling full for hours but gluttony is definitely worth it there. The restaurant is pretty tiny so reservations are highly recommended. I went there with a group of six girls to celebrate a birthday and we all loved it.
- Baby Kale, Pecorino, Lemon Chili Vinaigrette,Crouton
- Bone Marrow, Chimichurri, Caramelized Onions
- Lettuce, Beets, Avocado, Pita, Feta, Creamy Sumac
- Barbeque Pork Belly Sandwiches, Slaw
- Hamachi Tostada, Herbs, Fish Sauce Vinaigrette, Peanut
- Poutine, Oxtail Gravy, Cheddar
- Balsamic Pork Ribs, Delicata Squash, Arugula, Pecan
- Grilled Octopus, Chorizo, Spicy Brown Mustard, Chowchow
- Foie Gras, Biscuit, Maple Sausage Gravy
- Berries, Vanilla Custard, Lavender Crumble, Opal Basil
- Sticky Toffee Pudding, Mascarpone, Orange
- Tres Leches, Dulce De Leche
- Bacon Chocolate Crunch Bar, S&P Anglaise
Everything we ordered on the menu was a hit. The Baby Kale is the best Kale Salad I’ve ever had. The marrow bone was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. The Lettuce Salad was amazing for just having a few ingredients. The BBQ Pork Belly Sandwiches were filled with juicy chunks of Pork Belly. The Hamachi Tostada, which was a favorite amongst us all, was spicy and unlike any tostada I’ve ever tasted. The Balsamic Ribs were sweet and tangy and they went perfectly with the Squash and Arugula. The Poutine was super rich and tasty. The grilled Octopus was cooked perfectly and the Chorizo was delicious. The last, but not least, dish that came out was the Foie Gras with Biscuit and Gravy…this…was…yummy!! It was very heavy but we all shared one order and a bite was the perfect amount to start off our dessert tasting.
We ordered every dessert. My favorite was the Tres Leches but they were all delicious.
The Low: They only serve beer and wine to wash down the food. It would’ve been great if they had specialty drinks to go with the menu.
The bacon chocolate crunch bar was kind of a disappointment. It was a piece of chocolate with tiny bits of bacon in it. I thought it was going to have more of a bacon influence.
Would you come back? Yes, but with enough friends to spread the fat around.
More Info: www.animalrestaurant.com | 435 N. Fairfax Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90036 | (323) 782-9225 | Open Seven Days A Week | Sunday-Thurs 6pm-11pm | Friday & Saturday 6pm-2am
– Nom Nom Bobbie